Please find set out below the information which the `Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers’ of the New Zealand Law Society (“NZLS”)requires us to provide to you.
Client Care and Service Information. The NZLS Rules require us to:
• Act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with instructions received and arrangements made;
• Protect and promote your interests and act for you free from compromising influences or loyalties;
• Discuss with you your objectives and how they should best be achieved;
• Provide you with information about the work to be done, who will do it and the way the services will be provided
• Charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable and let you know how and when you will be billed;
• Give you clear information and advice;
• Protect your privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality;
• Treat you fairly, respectfully and without discrimination;
• Keep you informed about the work being done and advise you when it is completed, and
• Let you know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly.
The obligations lawyers owe to clients are described in the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers. Those obligations are subject to other overriding duties, including duties to the courts and to the justice system. If you have any queries, please visit their website or telephone 0800 261 801.
People responsible for your work
At the outset of any matter we will advise you of the people who will have overall responsibility for your work.
We will charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable having regard to the circumstances of the matter and the nature of our work for you. The basis on which our fees will be charged are set out at paragraph 4 of our Terms of Engagement.
Professional Indemnity Insurance
We hold professional indemnity insurance that exceeds the minimum standards specified by the New Zealand Law Society. We will provide you with further information on request.
The Lawyers Fidelity Fund
The NZLS maintains the Lawyers Fidelity Fund for the purpose of reimbursing people who suffer loss by reason of the theft by a lawyer of money or other valuable property entrusted to the lawyer. Compensation to an individual claimant is limited to $100,000.00. The Lawyers Fidelity Fund will not usually cover loss relating to money a lawyer is instructed to invest on behalf of a client.
Limitations on extent of our obligations or liability
Any limitations on the extent of our obligations to you or any limitation/exclusion of liability are set out in in letter of engagement and/or our standard terms of engagement.
We have procedures that are designed to ensure that any client complaint is dealt with promptly and fairly. If you have a complaint about our services or charges, we encourage you to discuss the matter with the person you are dealing with or the principal responsible for your work.
If you do not wish to talk to that person about your complaint, or you are not happy with that person’s response to your complaint, please contact either Scott Goodwin or Paul Turner, who can be reached by:
The Law Society also maintains a complaints service and you can make a complaint by calling 0800 261 801 or sending a letter to PO Box 5401, Wellington.